Thursday, October 25, 2012

This is My Confession



     The picture above was on my bedroom wall while I was growing up. It's of a band called the Afghan Whigs.  I was about eleven when I first saw one of their videos on 120 Minutes on MTV, probably '92 or '93. At first the appeal probably had a lot to do with the fact that they were from Cincinnati, and their lead singer was originally from a little north in Butler County, where I grew up and still live. My little mind was amazed that actual human beings from Cincinnati were on my television set, and the music and lyrics were probably a secondary concern.
     However, in short order I came to sincerely love the Whigs. Greg Dulli became my one true hero for being so unapologetically confident. I combed Sassy and all the music mags of the '90s for any mention. I put Let Me Lie to You on a mix cd when I was 14 (?!). I taped 120 Minutes when Greg hosted with Donal Logue and they acted out scenes from the Godfather with water guns. I was in it to win it, but I was always too young to go to any shows. When I was about 16 I joined an internet mailing list (remember those?) called Congregation just so I could keep up with all the latest Whigs happenings. In my freshman year at Miami, the band decided to break up and though I've seen Greg Dulli play in different incarnations I truly thought I would never see the original Whigs play live together.
     Tonight, I will see the Afghan Whigs play live at Bogart's in Cincinnati. I wish I could try to explain to you what that means to me in a way you could understand. I could tell you my favorite songs, my favorite albums, and why I think everyone should love them. I could tell you that after hearing news of the reunion tour I immediately knew why my life had been spared from that massive pulmonary embolism last year.
     I could tell you that I never was really a stereotypical Whigs fan, either a mosh-loving dude or one of the girls who would faint just to be in the same room as Greg Dulli (In fact my fave Greg moment of all time was an old 90's joint interview with Chuck Cleaver from the Ass Ponys/Wussy where they declared the only people you remember from elementary school is the kid who wins the spelling bee and the kid who craps their pants, and only Chuck knows why that is my favorite...haha. hahaha.) I loved the Whigs because I thought their musicianship was hard to beat amongst the other bands of the day (or any day) and their guitar and bass lines sounded so entirely different. Most of all, I loved the Whigs because I felt like Greg Dulli's lyrics, especially the most true, the most emotionally cruel, were an outlet for a side of me few people ever experience. I am not actually overly nice, and I never really was, even at the age of eleven, in the sense that I have always refused to compromise any part of myself to make other people feel better. I have a sense of self that is so strong-willed that it just refuses to be sacrificed to any greater good, and that has been both a saving grace and a detriment at times. And I always felt like it was really something not to be proud of, and Dulli's lyrics in Whigs songs made me feel better about my ability to sacrifice the will of others in order to keep my own self going. As I've gotten older, I am much less ashamed of my ability to be cruel for self-preservation as I see the sorrow people have endured for letting other people stomp on them. And maybe those lyrics about selfishness were actually full of shame but they always made me almost proud of myself.
     Lastly, I could tell you this. I could tell you I left that picture on my wall when my parents declared bankruptcy and we lost our house when I was in college, along with the picture of John Lennon from my mom's White Album above my bed, and some other music pictures dating from pre-teen years. I told my mom I would go back and save them before we had to turn over our keys, but for reasons not clear to me I never did go back. I think I had been forced to realized that houses, and pictures of the Afghan Whigs, are not permanent and never were even if we thought so at one time. It's the memories of growing up at that house that I take with me, and it's the memories of growing up listening to the best band to ever come out of Cincinnati that I take with me and not some old picture.

14 comments:

  1. Wow. Beautifully, powerfully and personally written. I saw them many times, including NYC last week. They will not disappoint. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice read. It's hard to explain the feeling the Whigs lyrics and melodies have over their fans. Saw them in Atlanta last week. They killed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at the Atl show too. Life changing for me. It was the closest I get to church. I had a similar intro to the Whigs as the writer. I'll never forget seeing Gentlemen on 120 mins w the old man and the black guy. I was like WTF is this?! Awesome. Bought every Dulli project since. My next goal is to see him solo. Its nice to be a part of the Whigs love w you guys.

      Delete
  3. Excellent post, Stacey. I loved how you processed your connection to the music and I hope you have a wonderful time at the show tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully written. I remembered being blown away by the rawness and cruelty of Dulli's lyrics. I was in college then, fueled incessantly by testosterone and angst, so the Whigs really hit every nerve. And especially during one of my lowest points, My Curse literally became an anthem. Dulli's music in all it's incarnation crept into my soul and stayed there till now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey, contrary to your article, I don't think the typical Whigs fan is the mosh-loving dude or the swooning chick you depict in your story, but rather people exactly like you. People who connected with the band, the musicianship and with the lyrics. Every song is an adventure into the mind and soul of genius, both musically and lyrically.

    I love John Curley's R&B/Mowtown reminiscent bass lines stretching their legs on a lazy, funky walk and kicking you in the ass to get you off your chair and grooving on your feet. I feel every note in the lonesome soulfulness of Rick McCollum's layers of ever so slightly assonant slide guitar melodies. The popping and punctuating back beat of Steve Earle's drums driving you through each album from one end to the other. And of course, the utter anguish, torment and unabashed naked bearing of the soul in Greg Dulli's lyrics.

    No, I think most Whigs fans feel some closer connection and it was evident in the crowd that appeared at the show in Atlanta. There was a genuine lack of douche-baggery found at other concerts of bands from the same era. Chili Peppers, Jane's Addiction, et al... each has an abundance of people oozing that hipster-wannabe-pretentiousness about them. It was conspicuously absent at each of the 3 Whigs shows I have been fortunate enough to see. From the first in 1994 at the Covered Dish in Gainesville, FL where my friend Sue was pulled on stage to dance and sing next to Dulli, to the 1996 show at the Tabernacle in Atlanta to this last show at the Masquerade in Atlanta - each was better than the last.

    I hope your experience tonight is as cathartic and enjoyable as mine. When you love and connect with the Whigs, you realize there is no such thing as a bad show or an incomplete set. Cheers and best wishes on tonight's journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I was at those three shows too, they were awesome.

      Delete
  6. I truly cherish the days waking up (in the middle of the night) to John's unplugged bass playing in HS & college...a real treasure! So, pleased to discover them 20 yrs later! Their music speaks volumes and their fans are most dedicated!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You completely took the words out of my mouth in regards to how I feel about The Afghan Whigs. I was too young to see them when they released their last album and thought that my only chance to hear one of their songs live would be through old live recordings. I saw them for the first time a few weeks ago at Austin City Limits and also last weekend in New Orleans. To say the New Orleans show was life changing would be a huge understatement. Their music has inspired my writing and also shaped me into the person that I am today. I think your blog hit the nail on the head (sorry for the cliche) in regards to how many of us feel about this amazing band.

    Kelly
    www.thejustwritestuff.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great article. I too have been a huge Whigs fan since I was a teenager. I first got to see them in Memphis in 1996 at the New Daisy with several friends the day after we graduated from high school. I had introduced my friends to the Whigs & we listened to them all the time. I got to see them again in New Orleans at the Howlin Wolf on Thanksgiving day in 1997. This was an amazing show as my friends & I met up with a bunch of Whigs fans from an Whigs internet group & had dinner together before enjoying a 3 hour long show in a tiny club. Unforgettable!

    I saw Dulli a couple of more times in New Orleans with the Twilight Singers. I moved to Los Angeles in 2003 & have been lucky enough to see The Twilight Singers (countless times), Uptown Lights, Gutter Twins & Dulli's solo tour. I even got to meet him at a M83 show. I was totally starstruck.

    I was so excited once I heard the Whigs were doing a reunion tour. I flew to Porto, Portugal to see them at Primavera Sound music festival. Amazing to finally see them together again after all these years. I'm heading to Denver on Tuesday to see them with one of my high school friends that was at the show with me in Memphis. Can't wait!

    Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was so great. I know exactly how you feel - I am so excited to finally see my favorite band in concert this Tuesday in Denver. I'm flying in from Phoenix to see the show (since they didn't schedule us on the tour). $220 in airfare, $100 for a hotel, $50 for a ticket to the show, $65 for a rental car - all at a time when my divorce and underemployment situation are crushing me financially... But I don't care - it's worth ten times that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this gave me chills. I'm about ten years older than you, so I had my fill of club and festival shows in the 90s and they were some of the most moving experiences of my life. But you know the best Whigs show I ever saw? Four weeks ago in DC at the (new) 930 Club. I'm glad the band and their music stuck with you through the years and it's awesome that you finally got to see them perform these amazing songs live. It just really speaks volumes about this band that their music has endured with some many of us.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. The show was beyond all expectations and the catharsis I felt seeing them live once again washed away a decade of bitterness.I first heard them play in 1990 at the gallery cabaret it was as if someone was writing a soundtrack for my life, Dulli ripped into white trash party heroin glazed eyes rolled back in my floating head hearing part of my life on stage.... Not the same man as I was then felt like staring at my souls taint laid bare onstage that night woke me up...

    ReplyDelete